Saturday, March 13, 2010

Tom Reaume, photography on


This is one of my pure abstract photographs, Without yellow there is no god, 2008 created with a camera but without using Photoshop. It is not a close up image like those from Aaron Siskind and his followers.

My vision rises to the bare tree tops where distal twigs and buds evaporate like mist into the sky. Here the thin lines against the distant gray sky become too faint and airy for a grounded clarity to take hold. The twigs disappear, not abruptly like the top of a truncated building, but in jazzy botanical patterns with gaps and giggles, slashes and strokes. Here is my rich reference, for here the slightest breeze induces a lunar movement. This is where my hands are free to wander playfully with a camera along the edge of these two magical worlds. Up there I can forget the thick reality of tree trunks by Ansel Adams and Edward Weston, and the thicker, hard buildings of Hilla and Bernd Becher. I close my eyes and begin to see Jackson Pollock's Gray and Red.

No comments:

Post a Comment